So! A lot has happened in the last month and a half. The launch of Dollop Gourmet Frosting has kept me happy, stressed, busy, overwhelmed, and exhilarated all at once. I’ve spent the past few weekends doing tastings or “demos” at Wegmans. This has amounted to a total of 11 demos so far. I’m almost a pro, yet not even kind of. I finally discovered the reason why I earned that psychology degree though – it’s so I could do these demos. Seriously – it’s like a four-hour psychology class every weekend. No wonder I crave a bottle of wine at the end of each day. But I don’t drink the whole bottle, ok? So don’t go calling my therapist quite yet.
And now, I present you with the Top 5 Things I’ve learned From Sampling Frosting:
1. When people claim to not like frosting the reason is typically because they find frosting to be too sweet. The fact that Dollop Gourmet Frosting has half the sugar of all other frostings and dessert spreads is what convinces those people to taste it, and then with shock, proclaim that they like it. Converting non-frosting lovers to frosting lovers allllll day long! It's how we do.
2. There are a lot of people looking for allergen friendly foods and they are overjoyed when they find something new. Gluten-free is the biggest draw, followed by dairy-free, nut-free, and then a disorder I hadn’t heard of called PKU. PKU people cannot eat protein. By a stroke of luck, three of our four flavors are protein-free, making it a viable food for PKU people to enjoy! I’m thrilled that I was able to formulate Dollop Gourmet Frosting to be not only delicious but also a safe food for many allergy sufferers to enjoy.
3. There was this lady are some people who refuse to taste Dollop frosting because they claim, “NO ONE CAN MAKE A BETTER FROSTING THAN I CAN!” Ok lady people, I get it. Your frosting is incredible. Bring me some next time?
4. Kids are honest and have good taste! Just about every child has loved Dollop frosting (whew!). “It’s yummy!”, they say. One young girl even asked me to sign her newly applied cast because she loved the frosting so much. Or maybe she just loved me? Tomato Tomahto.
5. The gift cards are up front, the restroom is to the right, vitamins are in aisle 2b, and no, I don’t know where the pinto beans are, I’m sorry.
The Wegmans team has been so amazing to me; I can’t even put it into words. And all in all the customers have been receptive, enthusiastic, and welcoming – more so than I ever anticipated. These demos are massive learning experiences and I truly am having fun doing them – especially when I have great assistants (which I do)! But my favorite thing about doing these demos? Seeing the excitement on people’s faces as they discover and taste a product that took me so long to create. A product that solves a problem, fills a need, and brings joy into people’s lives.
It just makes it all worthwhile, you know? You know. ♥ Heather
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Heather Saffer, founder of Dollop Gourmet, was named one of the Top 7 Best pitches on Shark Tank Season 7!